Almost exactly one year ago former executive producer Marisa Demarco and host Khalil Ekulona were developing NoMoNo using what we learned from the previous four months of covering the pandemic with the show Your New Mexico Government. You might remember, YNMG was 5 days a week. First it was an hour, then a half hour then the schedule changed up a couple of times. The pandemic was new to all of us, to every human on the planet. It was the first of many changes to our collective reality and uncertainty was the word of the time. We think the word uncertainty has been said more times on this show than our nickname, NoMoNo. Yet in those uncertain times we knew that things would not be the same. No matter when our lives got back to some semblance of normality.
We also knew that we had to answer the call. To ask questions. Questions to public officials about the direction and effectiveness of their response to covid. Questions to activists and organizations asking who is in need of help and how can that help get to them. With a shared focus on racial justice we aired stories that examine the continuing pandmeic of racism.
Today we take a look at the past 16 months of No More Normal and share moments that stood out as we wrap up this interesting, funky show.
- First Place – Sports: Feature – YNMG: Sports, Sports, Sports
- Second Place – Religion Feature – YNMG: Keeping The Faith
- Second Place – Mental Health Feature – No More Normal: Mental Health
- Second Place – General Reporting – YNMG: Essential, Just Not Paid Like It
- Third Place – Pandemic Reporting – YNMG: The People Beyond The Numbers
- Second Place – Podcast – Your New Mexico Government
- Third Place – Podcast – No More Normal
Public Media Journalists Association
NEXT WEEK: We honor the life and work of Hannah Colton. Tune in to see why she is always in our hearts.
- Thank you to all of our guests who gave their time to share their experience, insights, and expertise with us over the past 16 months. The show is nothing without our guests. We thank you for being generous with your time.
- Thanks to our media partners: New Mexico PBS and The Santa Fe Reporter
- Thanks to the news team at KUNM for help with editing and providing outstanding reporting and content to the show.
- Thanks to our music contributors: Jazztone The Producer, Cheo, Dahm Life, Business School, Sun Dog, and Oh Lawd Records.
- Thanks to Khaki, Pope Yesyesyall, and Bigawatt for producing some of the show’s themes.
- Super thanks to you, our listeners, for tuning in each week and sharing your time with us.
We dedicate this and every single episode of No More Normal to Hannah Colton. We love and miss you, Hannah.
No More Normal is brought to you by Your New Mexico Government, a collaboration between KUNM, New Mexico PBS, and the Santa Fe Reporter. Funding for our coverage comes from the Kellogg Foundation and KUNM listeners like you, with support for public media provided by the Thornburg Foundation.