Our Students

New Mexico PBS is proud to support Students

Jesse ChavezJesse Chavez

"Hello! My name is Jesse Chavez and I am currently a 2nd year student at UNM majoring in Journalism in Strategic Communications with a minor in Political Science. I was born and raised here in NM and have been living on my own for the past two years in Albuquerque. In my spare time I enjoy reading, coffee drinking, and have an interest in fashion. My future aspirations after school would be to write and work in communications for a fashion magazine. Getting the opportunity to work for KNME has been exciting and welcoming and I look forward to my journey here as a part of the team!"

Destiny FelixDestiny Felix

"Hello, my name is Destiny Felix and I am currently a 2nd year student here at the University of New Mexico, majoring in Family and Child Studies and minoring in World Dance. I enjoy reading, watching movies, and working out on my spare time. When I am not being a student, I am a dancer for the Lobo dance team. You can find me dancing and cheering on our Lobos at all the games. I love working with kids and here at New Mexico PBS I am able to be involved with different activities with kids as well as their families. Being given the opportunity to intern here with New Mexico PBS will expose me to many opportunities for my future career. My future aspirations are to one day open up my own dance and therapy studio for families and married couples. So, they are given the opportunity express how they feel in a different way through dancing. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to be here and excited for what is to come through this internship."

Lauren HutchinsonLauren Hutchinson

West Huntsville born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my days.
Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool, and shooting some short films outside of school.
Until a couple of guys that were up to some good, started offering jobs in my neighborhood.
I got one lil job at KNME, and my momma said you're gonna move on out to Albuquerque.
I've got some experience since I've been here learning about production and using film gear.
If anything I could say that this job is rare and I feel really lucky to be able to be here.

Stephanie HuwylerStephanie Huwyler

Hey y'all! My name is Stephanie Huwyler, I was born and raised in Houston, TX and moved to Albuquerque to explore new opportunities away from home. I am a third year student in Interdisciplinary Film and Digital Media at UNM. I enjoy taking photographs, hanging out with friends, and watching movies. Aspiring to be an art director after college, I know that NMPBS will provide me with the experiences needed for my future endeavors.

Anthony JacksonArielle Martinez

Anthony is a senior at the University of New Mexico, majoring in journalism and political science. Anthony spends his free time hiking, reading and taking photographs. He believes photography can change the world.

Lauren McFatherLauren McFather

Lauren McFather is a 21 year old musician and filmmaker with an interest in set design. Currently, she is a senior working toward a BA in Film Production at UNM. She spends her spare time performing as a vocalist in shoegaze band Pastel Goth or funeral doom band Ego Death if she’s not watching true crime docs or hanging out with her roommate’s dog.

Anna PadillaRaechel Ostic

"My name is Anna Padilla. I am from Los Lunas and have lived in New Mexico all my life. I’m majoring in Journalism and Mass Communication and I am part of the Interdisciplinary Film and Digital Media program here at UNM. I love reading, writing, and photography. I look forward to my time here at NMPBS to learn and grow as much as I can. I hope to use the skills that I gain to help highlight the best of what New Mexico has to offer."

Faith PerezFaith Perez

"My name is Faith Perez, and I am currently a student at UNM majoring in film and digital media. I enjoy post-production work and learning about new software in my spare time. Having the opportunity to work here at KNME has given me invaluable experience, and I'm just excited to get to do what I love and learn everything I can while I am here!"

Kendra SmithKendra Smith

"Hello everyone! My name is Kendra Smith and I’m currently a Senior at UNM. I’m set to graduate in spring of 2019 with a Bachelors in Family and Child Studies. After graduating, I plan obtaining my Masters at ASU in Family and Human Development. I’m interested in working as a after school program coordinator or in an adoption agency. I love working with kids and interning with NM PBS will give me the experience I want and need. I am originally from Farmington, NM and I have lived in Albuquerque for about 4 years. For fun, I love to workout, run, and play soccer. I have played soccer since I was 7 years old. I play on a league team through Albuquerque, as well as pick up games with my boyfriend and friends. I love to travel and would love to start traveling more in the summer. Being outdoors is one of my favorite things on this beautiful planet."

Josh SteppJosh Stepp

"Hi, I'm Josh Stepp, and I'm a senior here at UNM. I'm part of the IFDM program, and love screenwriting, photography, and animating. I'm excited to be able to use some of my talents and pick up new ones here at KNME!"

Vicente VargasVicente Vargas

Hi! I’m Vicente Vargas, I am a first year student at UNM majoring in Psychology with a minor in theatre. In my very rare free time I love to read, write, watch movies and participate in community theatre. Theatre and performing are my passion and I plan to pursue it in one way or another. I’m excited to be working here at KNME with all the excitement that television brings, I’m also very grateful for the opportunity to be working in such a cool environment!

Benjamin C YazzaBenjamin C Yazza

"My days are filled with media criticism papers, Chinese characters, phone interviews, quick video schedule chats, a stop at La Montanita Co-op for coffee and a pastry. Other days are trips to a hidden venue to take wedding photos and a late night film at The Guild. Totally content; my aspirations are to keep this type of schedule but to make the scale a whole lot larger."